September 22, 2011

Have a sweet life

I have a sweet tooth that's why it's hard for me to resist a bar of my fave dark chocolate or a slice of Estrels which is the best cake in the whole dessert world for me :-) 

My latest addiction though is the more affordable nips which I bought last week when we had our grocery. My mother scolded me for finishing the whole bag of mini-nips in just one sitting last night not because I didn't share it in our household but because she reminded me that diabetes runs in our blood. As if I can't understand what she just said, she even emphasized that both my grandfathers and several relatives died of this disease. Believe me mother dear, I got your point. It's just that it's hard to resist temptation.
I really appreciate my mother's concern towards my health. Even her is suffering from pre-diabetes while my maternal grandmother already has an eye cataract for several years now because of her long-time diabetes.  I know that sooner or later, I need to reduce my intake of food and beverages that are high in sugar like white rice and bread, chocolates, pastries, and carbonated drinks. Gaaaaah! They're hard to resist! It's like you're given a choice if you're going to eat or not. :-(  Starvation, eh?

But of course I need to heed my mother's reminder because I don't want to suffer in the future. Little by little, I'll change my eating habits so that my body can fully adjust. I know it'll be hard but health should always be given a priority right?

Anyway, I researched seven foods that are good for diabetics. Whether I'll eat them in the future (hopefully noooo) or not, this list will also benefit those people I know who have diabetes or at leatst who have friends or relatives who also have this disease. If you happen to know one too, be generous in sharing the list to them.

1.Cinnamon. Daily intake of ½ teaspoon of cinnamon improved insulin production and blood sugar and lower triglycerides, blood pressure, and LDL cholesterol of type 2 diabetes patients. Polyphenpol, an active ingredient of cinnamon, also helps in keeping the body’s insulin level normal and transport glucose in the body efficiently
.
Garlic is not just for cooking
it's good for your health
too. Credit here
2.Garlic. Several studies proved that garlic is effective not just in lowering the blood sugar but also in repairing pancreas cells. The presence of diallyl disulphide oxide (allicin) and allyl propul disulphide (APDS) allow the pancreas to increase the production of insulin in the body.

3.Beans. Eating beans regularly help regulate one’s blood sugar level because of its high soluble fiber content.  The soluble fiber found in beans decreases digestion rate making a person to feel full longer and stabilizes blood sugar level to avoid a sudden drop or increase in sugar level in the body.

4. Bitter gourd. This vegetable, despite its unimpressive taste,is discovered to possess lectin which is responsible in lowering blood glucose concentration and charantin which increases insulin sensitivity. Vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and iron found in this vegetable can also prevent diabetic patients from hypertension and eye complications. 

5.Oats, cereals, legumes.  Aside from fruits and vegetables, wholegrain products are also good sources of fiber.  Fiber delays the absorption of sugar in the blood making it easier for the body’s sugar level to be controlled.

6. Yogurt. Soy products like yogurt have high content of phenol and antioxidants which help regulate blood sugar level and prevent hypertension. Studies also claimed that low-fat dairy products lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
My favorite wheatgrass in a can!

7.   Wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is said to be the “ super food” because it  is loaded with essential vitamins C, E and B, minerals like zinc and copper, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, and several enzymes to help cure or prevent several diseases such as diabetes. The fiber found in wheatgrass regulates the absorption of sugar and cholesterol. Magnesium, the main element of chlorophyll that is responsible for plants’ green pigmentation, keeps bones and muscles strong, regulates blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and prevents cardiovascular disease, retinopathy, and nephropathy, which are the popular complications from diabetes. Copper and manganese help improve glucose control while zinc regulates blood sugar level.

Good thing that I'm drinking wheatgrass. But of course I should not depend too much on it. I mean I can drink a can or two of my fave wheatgrass ready-to-drink that I've been blogging about but if I continue eating foods high in sugar and do not engage myself in physical activities, I am not safe from diabetes. But I won't let that happen to myself. I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment