September 20, 2011

I Can Drink the Good Drink

Food supplements are popular as people realized the importance and benefits of healthy living, paying extra attention to their diet. For others, these supplements compensate for their preference for foods that have high amounts of salt, oil, sugar, and fats.
Food supplements, mostly in tablet forms, promise to give the body the much needed nutrients in order for it to function well. However, taking these products in large amounts may pose a threat to one’s health. Too much Vitamin A intake can lead to headaches, blurred visions and even kidney problems while a large quantity of Vitamin B6 intake can lead to serious problems in the nervous system in the future. There is also a possibility that the contents of the food supplement will have an adverse effect on other medicines especially if a person is under medication. For instance, calcium content of the food supplement will have a negative reaction on certain heart medications that might aggravate one’s medical condition. Food supplements should be taken according to its required daily dosage since nutrients from food supplements have a different effect on the body compared to the nutrients from natural, healthy foods.
Dietician and British Nutrition Foundation spokesperson Sarah Schenker suggested that instead of these food supplements, people should increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables since they do not only contain vitamins and minerals but also “many other plant substances” such as phytochemicals which is lacking in food supplements.
Good thing I'm not a fan of food supplments though. I'm not really into drinking tablets or capsules since I've read that frequent intake of these medicines will only damage your kidney. We learned that abusing simple painkiller tablets may aggravate the detoriariation of kidneys. We learned our lesson well from the experience of my late brother. While we stock on paracetamols or neozeps at home, my mom would always insist that we go for natural remedies like increasing veggie and fruit consumption, drinking more liquids (water and juices), get lots of sleep and rest, and avoid staying up late. 
Cosplay goddess Alodia Gosengfiao is a
wheatgrass drinker herself!
Green leafy vegetables are highly nutritious because of its chlorophyll-rich content. Chlorophyll is also important to human body since it helps in the production of healthy red blood cells. High amount of hemoglobin in the bloodstream increases the amount of oxygen-rich blood that circulates in the body. Cells thrive in oxygen-rich blood.  
 Barley grass and wheatgrass are also natural food supplements that are gaining popularity. Both contains an equally high amount of nutrients on it including calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B, C, D, and E, enzymes that are important in the body, chlorophyll, and fiber content. But what makes wheatgrass superior than barley grass is the presence of P4D1 enzyme which is known for its anti-inflammatory property and its ability to fight cancer cells. Aside from preventing cancer cells from multiplying in the body, wheatgrass is also effective in preventing diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular problems.   

Im thinking that I should continue drinking the wheatgrass product that I recently discovered.  I was just happy that this drink improved my digestion during my one-week trial. I cannot, of course, say if wheatgrass can really lower my blood sugar or cholesterol level since I'm pretty confident that my sugar and cholesterol levels are still on their normal level. Nor can I attest to the product's efficacy in preventing cancers or cardiovascular problems simply because I haven't been diagnosed to suffer from any of these ailments (thank God). But what can I just say is that since I've started taking this product, going to the bathroom becomes comfortable every morning. Add to that, I didn't get hungry easily after I consumed one can. I swear! Before I go home, I always drop by at the nearest 711 store and consume my a can before I boarded the shuttle. Travel time is almost 2 hours and surprisingly, I didn't get hungry at all. Maybe it's the fiber content of this drink that leaves me feel "stuffed." I thought it was just a coincidence but my one-week trial hypothesized that maybe this drink can also be a good form of diet. Just think of FIBER!  

No comments:

Post a Comment